Helping with PopupDropper

Jeff Mitchell kde-dev at emailgoeshere.com
Tue Jun 19 23:56:39 CEST 2007

On Tuesday 19 June 2007, Mark Kretschmann wrote:
> Hey Jeff,
>
> I'd like to help with the PUD, but so far it's not clear to me what
> the code is supposed to do. What it seems to do is create a QGV with
> the same size as the parent widget (main window) and use this as a
> "global overlay". I imagine this will always be quite slow, as the
> whole giant thing has to be blended in realtime.

According to what aseigo was telling me this shouldn't really be the case.
In-window drawing is supposed to be very fast, including blending.  But this
seems not not necessarily be the case -- or maybe it's fast for smaller
blending jobs.  Also, it seems to handle blending quite well once it's at its
final transparency, so maybe cutting to that and then painting on
graphicitems would work (if that flashing can be done away with).

> Why not make the QGV only as big as needed, and position it where the
> PUD is supposed to appear?

This is another possibility.

--Jeff