amarok licensing

Dirk Mueller mueller at kde.org
Wed Jul 25 17:53:50 CEST 2007

On Wednesday, 25. July 2007, Mark Kretschmann wrote:

> We could probably already do this before the upcoming 1.4.7
> release.

The Trolltech exception clause
(http://trolltech.com/products/qt/gplexception/) is only applying to future
Qt releases as far as I know, so while it would be nice to have for 1.4.7, I
don't think it would solve the issue totally there.

> Could you point us to the necessary changes we have to make?

Well, it is described pretty well on
http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/documentation/licensing.html

basically, you have to decide on a license that allows the use of proprietary
plugins. The easiest would be to add an exception, like suggested on that
site I linked above. I would however not restrict it to gstreamer per se (but
that is up to you to decide).

As long as this exception is non-obligatory (that means, you allow the user of
this code to remove the exception statement from his version before
redistributing), and it thereby only grants additional rights and does not
restrict any of the rights GPL grants you (as a copyright holder), it is
trivially and fully GPL compatible.

Dirk