Amarok mockup

Maximilian Kossick mkossick at gmx.de
Sun Jul 15 15:59:15 CEST 2007

Regarding the mini-player idea: Unlike the old XMMS/Winamp-style player
windows, the new mini-player would not be an extra window, but instead it
would be possible to collapse the full window to the mini-window, and expand
it again, using an easily accessible button. iirc the idea was copied from
something that WMP does.

One problem with Amarok is the *very* long startup time. Loading all the
necessary data to populate the playlist/collection view/context view simply
takes some time, and makes it impossible to quickly listen to a single music
file with Amarok if Amarok isn't running ( yes, i know, many people,
including me, simply have Amarok open all the time).

My idea would be to add a "fast-startup" mode to Amarok, which doesn't need to
initialize all sub-systems before it's usable. It could work like this:
-Amarok is not running, and the user starts it and passes a file to play on
the commandline
-"fast-startup" of Amarok: only the Engine sub-system( and maybe the
Collection/CollectionManager sub-system to load metadata for the track) are
initialized during startup. the gui only shows the mini-player.
-"fast-startup" complete: amarok is ready to play the song. continue to
initialize the other sub-systems in the background.

This would allow all users to use Amarok as their *only* music player. As
mentioned above, users who don't have amarok running all the time can't
quickly start it to listen to a single or a few files. I'm pretty sure that
users like this exist (although they probably don't use Amarok at the
moment). An important point is that the mini-player would allow us to
implement this new use-case without negative consequences for the rest of our
user-base: Amarok would still be as powerful as they expect it to be.

Cheers, Max