Plasma and Amarok

Leo Franchi lfranchi at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 15:52:43 CEST 2007

On 7/10/07, Bart Cerneels <bart.cerneels at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday 10 July 2007, Leo Franchi wrote:
> > Max is indeed correct: i already have Plasma working in the context
> > view. so far, its only
> > plasma--e.g
> > . no applets, no management, no anything. but hey, its still plasma,
> > and the architecture is there :)
> >
> > anyway, since applets will be first-class plugins (we'll use the
> > KTrader system for applets) it makes it much easier to theme---as max
> > says, a desktop theme can just include svgs for amarok and we will be
> > themed too :)
>
> wow, impressive.
>
> So I guess the plan is to make Amarok::ContextView another formfactor
> (like desktop, panel, mediacenter). Does that mean we need to expend
> some enum in plasma?
>
> Is there drag and drop support already? Some day I want to be able to
> drag plasmoids out of CV to plasma.
>
> Do we need a data engine inside of Amarok, the same process. It seems
> kind of strange that the CV widgets talk to Amarok through an external
> process.

well, not exactly. the way you are thinking of the new contextview is
like simply
another facet of plasma, e.g
. plasma "extended" into amarok. thats not actually how it (currently) works.

right now i've copied/modified the relevant source files from the
plasma source tree into amarok. so we have our "own"
plasma. we will have our own plugins, with our own servicetype. now,
it would be cool
if we could just drag and drop from plasma<->amarok, but that i think is
something to think about in the future.  we can't have amarok be another
another formfactor of plasma for a few reasons:

a) we need a slightly different architecture. plasma is designed to be as
extensible and decentralized as possible, but we need to handle events like
track changes, showHome, etc, which requires manual  involvement in plasma.
and that is just one example.
b) plasma is kdebase. AFAIK we want to only link to kdelibs, as kdebase is a
pretty steep requirement, and ties us effectively to the KDE desktop. i
mean, if the user isn't running KDE, amarok should still have an awesome
context thingie :)

so to sum up, no plasma code is being changed.

leo

Bart

Leo Franchi                    angel666 at myrealbox.com
4305 Charlemagne Ct         lfranchi at gmail.com
Austin                                 cell: (650) 704 3680
TX, USA                              home: (650) 329 0125