FOSDEM brainstorm

Bart Cerneels bart.cerneels at denayer.wenk.be
Sun Feb 25 23:42:51 CET 2007

2007/2/25, Seb Ruiz <me at sebruiz.net>:

> I suggested the possiblity of using QGraphicsView for the context
> browser around 6 months ago, when I was working with it heavily on my
> thesis project. I began to implement a standalone prototype, but that
> has lagged behind.

Which is probably how the concept started brewing in our minds. I'm not
claiming I have original ideas.

I'd still be very interested in giving this a shot. When trunk is a
> little more stable and usable I'll give it a proper attempt.

This makes me even more confident about the Context View idea.

After Maximilian wrote this mail we put something on a piece of paper that
kind of makes sense:

   - Data is supplied by scripts (think lyrics-scripts in stable),
   sources are web-services, external tools,... . Scrips are written in a Kross
   supported language, we prefer Ruby for the default scripts (minimize
   dependencies). Data could also come from the database, obviously not using a
   script.
   - Widgets (C++) for QGraphicsView to represent data. These are fast
   and memory efficient, and might be hardware accelerated (OpenGL).
   Possibilities are endless.
   - Themes (CSS) determine colors, place, behaviour, ... of the widgets
   in the QGraphicsView.

This needs some research to see if we can combine the 3 technologies to
create one kick ass eye candy monster.

Have fun picking holes :) and goodnight.

Stecchino