extragear/multimedia/amarok/src

Bart Cerneels bart.cerneels at kde.org
Wed Dec 26 10:03:38 CET 2007

2007/12/26, Maximilian Kossick <maximilian.kossick at googlemail.com>:

> On Dec 24, 2007 11:44 PM, Jeff Mitchell <kde-dev at emailgoeshere.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Monday 24 December 2007, Bart Cerneels wrote:
> for.
> > >
> > > Yes, I was considering it. Obviously QueryMaker as it is, is very
> > > geared towards the Collection.
> > > It makes sense because some of the PlaylistProviders, the equivalent
> > > of Collection would talk some time to return. Like the
> > > AmpachePlaylistProvider, which we can now implement thanks to vollmer,
> > > who added adding playlists to the Ampache API.
> > >
> > > I would like to know your suggestions, you've got experience.
> > > Let me again congratulate you with Meta and Collection. This framework
> > > stuff is *so* hard.
> >
> > I second that  :-)
> >
> > As far as adding support for playlists to querymaker, it needs to be done
> at
> > some point if we're going to (as I thought we were) store playlists in the
> > database in 2.0.  This lets us access/modify them much more easily and
> > quickly, and makes importing/exporting fairly simple...and also allows AFT
> > eventually work on playlists too.  :-)
> >

> Unfortunately I can't ask you on IRC how exactly you want to add support for
> playlists to Querymaker, but I don't quite understand why that would be
> necessary. I can't check the sources right now, but why not make the
> PlaylistProvider class asynchronous? Subclasses could then use one or more
> QueryMaker instances to get the tracks for the playlist (for smart
> playlists), or download the playlist from the ampache server. Querymaker
> basically allows us to retrieve tracks from a database (and albums, artists,
> etc) based on certain criteria. Do we need something similar for playlists.
> Are we ever going to have a use case "give me all playlists whose name ends
> with 'foobar' "?
>
>  Max

Hi Max,

You are right, QueryMaker is less useful for Playlists. The only
reason I was considering implementing it is so that Meta::Playlist can
be derived from Meta::MetaBase, which adds observer support. It might
be easier to implement a "PlaylistObserver", specialized for
Meta::Playlist.
Now there might still be a use case for Meta::QueryMaker on Playlists,
searching in the PlaylistBrowser. I might remember what tracks I have
on a saved playlist, but forgot the name of that Playlist. The kind of
users who revel in making custom Playlists will ask for such search.

I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Bart