extragear/multimedia/amarok/src

Maximilian Kossick maximilian.kossick at googlemail.com
Wed Dec 26 04:45:04 CET 2007

On Dec 24, 2007 11:44 PM, Jeff Mitchell <kde-dev at emailgoeshere.com> wrote:

> On Monday 24 December 2007, Bart Cerneels wrote:
> > 2007/12/24, Maximilian Kossick <maximilian.kossick at googlemail.com>:
> > > hi bart,
> > > what do you want to use playlistMap in the AmarokMimeData::Private
> for.
> > > Do you want to add support for playlists to querymaker?\
> > > merry christmas everybody, max
> >
> > Yes, I was considering it. Obviously QueryMaker as it is, is very
> > geared towards the Collection.
> > It makes sense because some of the PlaylistProviders, the equivalent
> > of Collection would talk some time to return. Like the
> > AmpachePlaylistProvider, which we can now implement thanks to vollmer,
> > who added adding playlists to the Ampache API.
> >
> > I would like to know your suggestions, you've got experience.
> > Let me again congratulate you with Meta and Collection. This framework
> > stuff is *so* hard.
>
> I second that  :-)
>
> As far as adding support for playlists to querymaker, it needs to be done
> at
> some point if we're going to (as I thought we were) store playlists in the
> database in 2.0.  This lets us access/modify them much more easily and
> quickly, and makes importing/exporting fairly simple...and also allows AFT
> eventually work on playlists too.  :-)

Unfortunately I can't ask you on IRC how exactly you want to add support for
playlists to Querymaker, but I don't quite understand why that would be
necessary. I can't check the sources right now, but why not make the
PlaylistProvider class asynchronous? Subclasses could then use one or more
QueryMaker instances to get the tracks for the playlist (for smart
playlists), or download the playlist from the ampache server. Querymaker
basically allows us to retrieve tracks from a database (and albums, artists,
etc) based on certain criteria. Do we need something similar for playlists.
Are we ever going to have a use case "give me all playlists whose name ends
with 'foobar' "?

 Max