Non-windows stuff to do

Saro Engels ps_ml at gmx.de
Mon Dec 10 23:37:42 CET 2007

Jeff Mitchell schrieb:
> Shane King wrote:
>> Jeff Mitchell wrote:
>>
>>> Shane,
>>>
>>> Depending on how much Windows internals you really know, we could
>>> *really* use a Solid backend on Windows.  At least the media devices and
>>> hard disk portions of it...
>>>
>>> Of course, I don't know for sure that all of our libraries we use will
>>> be available on Windows anyways, or how well they'll work, or how
>>> they'll be packaged.  :-|
>>>
>>> --Jeff
>>>
>> As far as I can tell, that would basically involve porting HAL to
>> Windows. Sounds like fun ... :p
>>
> No, no, not at all.  Solid is designed for different backends.  Although
> the format of the hardware properties available to developers follows a
> HAL model, that's because no one from Windows or Mac camps were around
> to help its design.
>
> I believe on Windows this would basically involve a Solid<->WMI layer.
> So Solid would get device information from WMI (which I believe is where
> one can get device info from on Windows :-)  ).
>
>> The libraries are going to be an issue, anything that works with
>> hardware is going to be a complete pain to port. :
> I think libmtp, libnjb, and libgpod all already work on Windows, which
> is a large portion of devices.  Generic devices are the other large
> chunk, and that just requires ripping any platform-specific code out of
> the device (I doubt there's much if any) and replacing with i.e. Qt
> equivalents.
>
> --Jeff

hm, the problem has another issue: maintaining the stuff we did -
currently the kde on windows part isn't that big, so we can hardly
support kde correctly - it would even get worse if we had to support
some other libraries as well (though we definitely could tie this
backend pretty much to kde). I am pretty sure that the user base on
windows will grow really fast and that we might attract new (windows)
developers really soon - but until then we should wait.

Btw.: Shane: I want to make an amarok single install package soon, but
amarok misbehaves with some strange error:
Fatal ASSERT: kDebug has problems with the Function name.

regards
SE