Non-windows stuff to do

Ian Monroe ian at monroe.nu
Mon Dec 10 20:49:38 CET 2007

On Dec 10, 2007 5:20 AM, Shane King <kde at dontletsstart.com> wrote:
> * Embedded image and filesystem based image support, as currently only
> fetching from amazon is implemented for covers. Would really like to be
> able to tag covers back to files too - not sure about license
> implications there though (even though other programs do this). From
> what I can tell, we may technically be violating the license even
> caching the images to disk at all ...

Well we're not violating the spirit of the license and once we
re-enable the track refresher (which tries to redownload the album
every two months) and put in links to amazon in the context browser
we're not violating the terms either.

Writing covers to the files has always seemed like bloat to me, I'm
not so worried about the amazon license issue though.

> Anyway, even if it's only reading from tags and folder.jpg for now, it
> should be added back in.

> * The collectionscanner still uses MetaBundle, which has a bunch of
> legacy stuff. Not sure what the eventual intention is here, use a
> light-weight replacement, or something xesam related like the Meta::File
> seems to do?

Yea one idea is to switch to Xesam for our collection scans. I'm not
sure if this is actually doable or not within the 2.0 timeframe. Like
really no idea, it might be perfectly ready or it might not be working
at all. It seems likely that we'd end up in a hybrid solution, where
people who have a Xesam scanner Amarok will get the info from,
otherwise we'll have to run our own collection scanner.

In other words, getting rid of legacy stuff in the collectionscanner
is likely productive.

Maybe Seb can poke Max K for us. :)

> * Writing back to tags is currently unimplemented. Probably needs the
> above item cleaned up first, so we have a smaller, leaner "MetaBundle"
> class to do the writing.

It doesn't really, collectionscanner is a separate process that
communicates to Amarok via XML, so it how it does its internal stuff
is pretty irrelevant to track writing. We already have the Meta::Track
system that we're using now. I'm not quite sure where in the API track
writing belongs. But this is certainly something needed.

In my opinion the most orphaned code in Amarok is the playlist browser.

Also see http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/Amarok2_Progress