Non-windows stuff to do

Shane King kde at dontletsstart.com
Mon Dec 10 12:20:46 CET 2007

I think I'm at the point where Amarok basically runs on Windows, and the
major stuff that needs doing either I can't really do much about (eg I
can't write code for media devices I don't have) or needs to get more
stable in general before I sort any Windows related kinks out.

With that in mind, is there anything for Amarok 2 I can look at doing
that wont be stepping on anyone elses toes?

A couple of ideas I had for things:

* Last.fm/scrobbling: This doesn't seem to be hooked back in at the
moment, and really should be updated from the last.fm client to protocol
1.2.

* Embedded image and filesystem based image support, as currently only
fetching from amazon is implemented for covers. Would really like to be
able to tag covers back to files too - not sure about license
implications there though (even though other programs do this). From
what I can tell, we may technically be violating the license even
caching the images to disk at all ...

Anyway, even if it's only reading from tags and folder.jpg for now, it
should be added back in.

* On the subject of images, should be perhaps expand to not just use
album images, but also artist ones (should be able to get these easily
enough through last.fm)?

* The collectionscanner still uses MetaBundle, which has a bunch of
legacy stuff. Not sure what the eventual intention is here, use a
light-weight replacement, or something xesam related like the Meta::File
seems to do?

* Writing back to tags is currently unimplemented. Probably needs the
above item cleaned up first, so we have a smaller, leaner "MetaBundle"
class to do the writing.

* Or really anything else people can suggest that needs doing to get
Amarok into a usable state ... given I don't have the luxury of using
the stable branch on my native OS I have a high incentive to make Amarok
2 usable. ;)

Shane.