Full time on Amarok

Jeff Mitchell kde-dev at emailgoeshere.com
Wed Aug 22 05:51:38 CEST 2007

Leo Franchi wrote:
> On 8/21/07, *Nikolaj Hald Nielsen* <nhnfreespirit at gmail.com
> <mailto:nhnfreespirit at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     2. Popupdropper or another solution to dragging across the context
>     view.
>

> I can't really talk about anything here but the plasma stuff (and PUD
> :) so here's the status. Basically, a lot of tweaking is needed. Most
> of the fundamental code is down already, except for one major thing:
> the loading pane (or however we do it). I'm thinking of taking raptor
> (from workspace/base/raptor) which is a very pretty applet loader for
> plasma, once it has matured (still WIP). Basically i really don't like
> the current ControlBox, and i only put it there because it was an easy
> copy and paste.
Regarding the PUD, I think we all liked the concept but the
implementation, in the three or so ways it was attempted, was
troublesome.  However, with the little I actually know about Plasma
(i.e. I don't really know how easy it is, or not, to code nice graphic-y
things with it), I'm guessing that the best way to do this -- if we have
it at all -- would be to implement it as a Plasma applet that is
automatically moved to the foreground (or other objects are
minimized/iconized and then restored after).  So the applet could always
be running, and simply move it to the front when necessary.

By the way...although it will be nice to have an Amarok release for when
KDE releases, Amarok 2.0 might want to take a cue from KDE 4.0: a
technology release, with the polish -- and the users, and the push for
users -- coming with 4.1.  From the little I know being on the release
party planning team, I have the feeling that 4.0 won't be hyped to users
or even distributions as something people should switch to -- that
target is 4.1, when things are more stable, more mature, etc.  4.0 will
simply let KDE showcase the technologies they've developed as they mature.

Not that I don't want 2.0 to have users, but I think it'll be in pretty
much the same boat as KDE...huge overhaul, not necessarily too
stable/tested, etc.  So perhaps we're better releasing 2.0 on similar
terms, then trying to mature and polish and extend functionality and
features for a 2.1 release to coincide with the KDE 4.1 release.

--Jeff