rokymotion for hardcore development stuff

Harald Sitter sitter.harald at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 15:24:40 CEST 2007

On Sunday 19 August 2007 06:44:58 Seb Ruiz wrote:
> On 13/08/07, Harald Sitter <sitter.harald at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I think we should differe the actual development stuff from the amarok
> > wiki, where only user relevant information should reside (i.e. usage
> > howtos, distro information, etc. In general one can think of the AKO wiki
> > as a gigantic FAQ, just more usable. I'm actually planing on moving
> > everything over to rokymotion, which doesn't have any value to the user,
> > this way we can also cut the features in the wiki skin down to a minimum,
> > since we don't need to have a full featured wiki for that ... IMHO ...
> > that thats still to be thought about.
>
> I disagree, frankly i hate having everything split up. IMHO,
> everything should be on a.k.o wiki, user guides, development and
> rokymotion.
>
> Simply because the pages aren't relevant to normal users, it doesn't
> mean that they shouldn't be there. We only need to hide them from the
> main page, or create a developer portal page.

O.o In fact I was dreaming about a devel portal today... Aye, that is weird.

I gotta come up with something very drafty but usable for ako very soon. But
as Leo wrote about the search mess, I have to say that's not very easy to
solve for ako. Cause, when you're searching for dbus at the times of 2.2.0
(for example) you will get approx 300 billion results (probably less ;-). The
problem about this is that you can't restrict the searches to developmen
unless we use a namespace (i.e. Devel:FooBar), this again doesn't allow bread
crumbs, so the whole subpaging layout isn't possible unless we do something
like Devel:2.0/FooBar ... or maybe Devel:2.0.0/FooBar ... while this probably
gives proper structure anyway, what to do for pages which get heavy change in
Devel:2.1? move it? just create a new one? (which is bad for web search
results etc.).

IT IS AWFUL.

So, what do you prefer?
Devel:Foobar - where foobar itself can't have a bread crumb to Devel (where we
can place the portal)
or
Devel:2.0/Foobar - where Foobar got a bread crumb to 2.0 which shows all the
pages for 2.0

Ohhh... just another possability poped into my wicked mind: Dev:l/foobar or
D:Evel/foobar anyone? ;-)

--
Harald Sitter
Amarok team        Rokymotion division     Mail: harald at getamarok.com