launching applets

Leo Franchi lfranchi at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 18:59:08 CEST 2007

On 8/17/07, Bart Cerneels <bart.cerneels at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2007/8/17, Leo Franchi <lfranchi at gmail.com>:

> way you
> corner.
> honestly i
> for the
>
> The current implementation isn't even suited for the desktop. A
> horizontal slide-out bar in the center of an edge of the desktop would
> be better in my opinion. And a better graphic!
>
> > >  > that said, i don't really have any idea of what a better system
> could be. so
> up
> them.
>
> How about a semi transparent bar in the bottom of the CV. it can even
> autohide (bad for discoverability). I wouldn't mind if it looked and
> behaved exactly like the Apple dashboard widget picker.

i like this idea too :) the dashboard applet chooser is *really* slick.

my only issue is that we have to deal with whole configurations of layouts,
for example, we have to let the user add an applet to the "currently
playing" layout as well as the "home" layout, whether he is or is not
currently playing a track. this adds complexity, and i'm not sure how to
express this concept is we stick to the dashboard-style thing.

> > Some considerations might be - how often do we want, or expect users
> > > to change these applets. If there are going to be relatively static,
> > > it might be wise to have a page in the settings dialog. However, I
> > >  don't think this is really going to be the use case. I imagine that
> > > the applets will be changed regularly enough to warrant a faster
> > > solution.
> >
> > yeah, i dont think we should hide the applet stuff too much, because
> it's nice to be able to
> > easily add/remove them. although, the way i see myself using it is
> pretty much setting
> > things up once, and then keeping it like that until i install more that
> i want to see.
>
> I can imagine removing the lyrics applet to make room for the wiki
> applet a lot. To help the user do what was very easy in 1.4 (just a
> click on the tab in contextbrowser) we could provide buttons that
> automatically arrange applets in preconfigured layouts. Or quickly
> replace the lyrics applet with the wiki applet.
>
> > > Without having put much thought into it, perhaps it would be useful to
> > >  have a menu entry with all of the available applets. These can be
> > > toggled from the menu and can be categorised under different groups.
> > > I'd expect all of the applets to be available from the menus, even if
> > > they can't be enabled or disabled.
> > >
> > > A context menu popup menu could be issued with a right click on the
> > > view, allowing adding or removing applets relevant only the the
> > > currently displaying information.
>
> Don't you know right-click Context Menus are evil! Kicker replaced the
> context menu system with a applet picker window for 3.5.0 I believe,
> which was a HUGE improvement. Watch and learn.

fair enough. on the other hand, how would you suggest exposing a
configuration dialog? i'm not trying to impose anything here, just trying to
get a brainstorm session so we figure something out.

Leo Franchi                    angel666 at myrealbox.com
4305 Charlemagne Ct         lfranchi at gmail.com
Austin                                 cell: (650) 704 3680
TX, USA                              home: (650) 329 0125