Amarok Mobile

Dan Leinir Turthra Jensen admin at leinir.dk
Wed Aug 15 13:24:11 CEST 2007

  As someone (apachelogger) said in channel - Mobirok :)

> So feel free to comment.
>
> Here are my notes:
> - No big database, storage space is measured in the lower GBs.

  There is a point to take into account here as well - there is also battery
life, so a single scan (or even one generated by amarok, with the -option- to
manually scan on the device) would conserve battery. This is a huge concern
on especially the high-powered modern devices, where the backlight, colour
screen and animations and so on drain the battery very fast.

> - smart/dynamic playlists can be created by Amarok Desktop, keeping
> the Mobile code simple.

  Creating the rules for them, at least :) Actually running them is another
thing, though - i don't see how we could really do dynamic playlists
pre-calculated :)

> - Amarok Mobile will have excellent podcast support (my personal itch)
> with progress saving, podcast playlists, shownotes, etc. This will be
> the killer feature!

  Nom ;)

> - Non dynamic Context (Cover, Lyrics, limited wiki info, etc.)

  Certainly not dynamic, but... well-sorted, and laid out vertically.

> - Touch base UI, ABSOLUTELY no stylus needed.

  This is where my suggestion with the accellerometers comes in - if we have
the ability to tell how the user is tilting the device, what sort of controls
could we introduce to take advantage of that information?

- A bit of notes from myself as well: playback statistics imported back into
  your Amarok. We will need some way to make sure stats are only grabbed
  once... Maybe also do last.fm submission directly on the device?
  This -could- potentially be heavy, but i think that it would be a nifty
  thing to be able to do (not to mention that to my knowledge, no other mobile
  player has this ability)

--
..Dan // Leinir..
http://www.leinir.dk/