Well I've been working on this..

Leo Franchi lfranchi at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 04:15:49 CEST 2007

On 8/9/07, Jeff Mitchell <kde-dev at emailgoeshere.com> wrote:

> On Thursday 09 August 2007, Bart Cerneels wrote:
> > This concept seems very viable to me. After all, when selecting music
> > we are somewhat less interested in it's context (for music tracks at
> > least). In the very least, that is not where the users (eye)focus is.
> > So why not use this multi column track selection UI instead of
> > PopUpDropper and let it cover the contextview. The deeper in the
> > hierarchy you go the less far you have to drag to the playlistview.
>
> Just in point of fact, allowing easy access to add tracks to the playlist
> was
> only one of the ideas behind the PUD.  Allowing easy access to add tracks
> (other collections, burnable CDs, media devices, organizing folders, etc)
> were also ideas.  I doubt with the new context view with Plasma that
> anything
> will ever come of it, but who knows some day...

That is a valid point, but on the other hand I do think that we need
some sort of mechanism that will allow the user to drag-n-drop tracks
from the browsers to the playlist *without* needing to cross a lot of
dead space first. I like the PUD way because it provides one possible
solution to this issue. I don't really know how to integrate mxcl's
idea, but having spent quite a bit of time on OS X i really like the
scrolling column
navigation, it feels really natural.

leo

Leo Franchi                    angel666 at myrealbox.com
4305 Charlemagne Ct         lfranchi at gmail.com
Austin                                 cell: (650) 704 3680
TX, USA                              home: (650) 329 0125