Runtime option for debug output?

Mark Kretschmann kretschmann at kde.org
Fri Aug 3 09:36:20 CEST 2007

This happened today on #amarok:

09:24 < Kebianizao> markey: is there a verbose option for amarokapp?
09:25 < markey> --enable-debug=full
09:25 < markey> compile time
09:25 < Kebianizao> do you really have to rebuild to get that?
09:25 < Kebianizao> :O

Which makes me wonder (again) if we shouldn't make our debug output a
runtime option, e.g. "amarok --debug". We've discussed this briefly
some time ago, but no decision was reached.

I think the advantages of this approach are obvious (no rebuilding
needed), so I'm wondering about the disadvantages. It might make the
binary somewhat bigger, but that's all I can think of.

--
Mark