[Panel-devel] Amarok & plasma themes

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Aug 2 15:22:33 CEST 2007

On Thursday 02 August 2007, Bart Cerneels wrote:
> 1. Backup of settings and the kiosk-tool. These deal with the rc file.
> An rc file should contain settings of only one application. The kiosk
> system is complex enough as it is.

kiosk isn't particularly relevant here (it's pretty straightforward still),
but the backup of settings might be slightly annoying (though that's
certianly a very small percentage of use cases; how many people will
backup -just- their amarokrc but not the rest of their configs?) ...

this means coming up with a nice solution for use cases such as krunner which
must use plasmarc and preferable (e.g. as a requirement) it should not need
to know about plasmarc.

> 2. What if many other applications start embedding plasma? plasmarc
> will contain settings of all of them. What's the use of separate
> rc-files then? Imagine the clutter and user confusion.

same can be said for any such file, including kdeglobals. plasmarc is used by
libplasma, which should be self explanatory from a design perspective.

> And for drag'and'dropping applets to the plasma corona (desktop) I
> suggest a system that uses plamoid packages that are included in
> Amaroks binaries. So d'n'd would be logicly the same as installing a
> plasmoid with GHNS.

essentially, yes. plasma is already for this, amarok just needs to ship said
plasmoids.

> I guess the dataengines would have to be available
> outside of Amarok, maybe even by default.

well, yes, they have to be in order to be found. they are plugins that are
loaded via kservicetypetrader.

> Is there a DBUS API for adding dataengines?

engines are loaded on demand by applets that use them. there is no need for a
dbus api.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se