Amarok & plasma themes

Maximilian Kossick mkossick at gmx.de
Thu Aug 2 01:29:28 CEST 2007

On Wednesday 01 August 2007, Leo Franchi wrote:
> On 8/1/07, Maximilian Kossick <mkossick at gmx.de> wrote:
> > Hi
> > i've been wondering for a few days why the svgs for our new plasma
> > applets do
> > not work for me, and today i was able to figure it out:
> > cmake installs them to desktoptheme/amarok-default/widgets, but plasma
> > looks
> > for them in desktoptheme/default/widgets, unless one edits plasmarc and
> > adds
> > an entry which points amarok's embedded plasma at the new directory.
> >
> > The problem is that the svgs do not work unless one edits plasmarc, which
> > is
> > clearly unacceptable. Additionally, we won't be able to add our applets
> > to the kde4 desktop if we store the svgs in our own theme directory.
>
> Yes, this is how it currently works. I am discussing this method with
> panel-devel ( i sent them an email yesterday regarding this issue ).
> It appears aseigo has no particular qualms to changing the current
> method.

While I don't think that it really matters whether the theme information is
stored in amarokrc or plasmarc (although it would certainly be nice to have
everything in amarokrc) the default settings have to work, and they do not
now.

> Afaict the code in Plasma::Theme seems to be all or nothing: either the
>
> > image
> > or svg is part of the current theme, or it is not: what happens if
> > somebody
> > changes the theme of the kde4 desktop and wants to add amarok applets to
> > it?
> > At the moment it won't load the applets at all, but doesn't it make more
> > sense to degrade gracefully, e.g. use images/svgs from the default theme
> > instead of not loading them at all?
>
> Leo, is there a particular reason that you put the svgs into their own
> theme
>
> > directory instead of just installing them in the default plasma theme?
> > And do
> > you know if the plasma guys have a plan for handling incomplete themes?
>
> We cannot simply install our svgs into the default plasma theme, because
> some names conflict. We could, i guess, prefix all amarok svg names in
> order to namespace them. But I do not see why we *should* install our theme
> to the global desktoptheme/.

Because if we don't install them there, you won't be able to load Amarok
applets in plasma. And showing the applets on the desktop is one of the big
advantages of using libplasma for the context view. That's why i think we
should install them in the default theme, and convince the plasma developers
to look in the default theme for images/svgs if the files do not exist in the
custom theme.I really doubt that all plasma themes will have svgs/images for
amarok's applets. i know how the applets look if Plasma::Svg can't load the
svgs, and it is not pretty:)

Cheers, Max