Amarok & plasma themes

Maximilian Kossick mkossick at gmx.de
Wed Aug 1 14:47:38 CEST 2007

Hi
i've been wondering for a few days why the svgs for our new plasma applets do
not work for me, and today i was able to figure it out:
cmake installs them to desktoptheme/amarok-default/widgets, but plasma looks
for them in desktoptheme/default/widgets, unless one edits plasmarc and adds
an entry which points amarok's embedded plasma at the new directory.

The problem is that the svgs do not work unless one edits plasmarc, which is
clearly unacceptable. Additionally, we won't be able to add our applets to
the kde4 desktop if we store the svgs in our own theme directory.

Afaict the code in Plasma::Theme seems to be all or nothing: either the image
or svg is part of the current theme, or it is not: what happens if somebody
changes the theme of the kde4 desktop and wants to add amarok applets to it?
At the moment it won't load the applets at all, but doesn't it make more
sense to degrade gracefully, e.g. use images/svgs from the default theme
instead of not loading them at all?

Leo, is there a particular reason that you put the svgs into their own theme
directory instead of just installing them in the default plasma theme? And do
you know if the plasma guys have a plan for handling incomplete themes?

Cheers, Max