[akunambol] unnecessary backslashes

Andreas v. Heydwolff listmail at sandpsych.at
Mon Feb 14 16:18:39 CET 2011

Hello Riccardo, hi all,

good to hear you are emerging from the exams. I'm resending here a few
lines that I had sent via the feedback button in akunambol two weeks
ago, perhaps it got lost or never left my machine. Here goes:

Thanks again for akunambol, for me a very useful, fine tool. Following
up on my previous brief exchange with you, Riccardo, let me say that
between an iPhone with an Apple funambol client and kaddressbook with
akunambol 0.2.2 unnecessary backslashes get introduced.

Scenario:
- I started with an emptied kaddressbook (kab) because of too much cruft
in it.
- Exported my proper addresses from iPhone (iph) to kab
- changed Display of an entry to "Reverse Name with Comma"
- sync kab with akunambol (aku)
- sync iph
- Observation: displayed name on iph is ok
- changed something in notes field of contact
- sync iph
- sync kab/aku
- Observation: FN has <LastName>\\\, <FirstName>
- change in notes field in kab and saving again reduces no. of \ from 3
to 1, i.e., \\\ becomes \
- sync kab/aku. sync iph
- now on iph there is a new \n Line break visible in the notes field
- added new line with word to notes field on iph
- sync iph
- sync kab/aku
- FN has again three \\\, and the former linebreak now has \\\n with one
\ visible in the displayed entry, the new linebreak from iph displays
correctly.

I'm not sure where the bug is, in akunambol, in funambol or in the
iphone client, but perhaps you have an idea or a fix can be created? I
wonder whether this happens also with other mobile devices? My iPhone is
a 3GS with 4.1 on it, jailbroken. Backslashes, however, seem to get
introduced with other sync clients to as far as I can tell from
searching the internet. Is this due to funambol, or did you start off
with another Open Source sync client's code and it is a regression?

Best regards,

Andreas v. Heydwolff