Plasmoid installation in PA

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Sat Sep 7 20:33:50 UTC 2013

On Saturday 07 September 2013 21:44:56 Bogdan Cristea wrote:
> Hi
>
> I had a look at new plasmoids installed on PA (Picture Frame). No
> modifications are needed to be installed in PA, but when a plasmoid is
> added to an activity it seems a little strange that the plasmoid
> position and size are somehow limited to some discrete values, i.e. the
> plasmoid cannot be positioned anywhere on the screen and its size cannot
> vary to any value.

That's on purpose: The Activity Screen uses a layout grid, and everything
automatically aligns to that grid. That limits the placement and sizing
freedom a bit, but in combination with the resource boxes and the imprecision
of touchscreen interaction, Activity screens would turn into a real visual
mess pretty fast if there was not grid.
Btw: I've heard that Plasma 2 uses a grid layout for all workspaces (not sure
if that's still true, though).

> One more question. Where could I add the new plasmoids I find to work on
> PA (e.g. picture frame) ?

There is no offical way yet, but as soon as it's completely rolled out,
Plasmoids will be made available through Add Ons. See also Aaron's Google Plus
post sharing the release announcement
(https://plus.google.com/107555540696571114069/posts/ffJp9rpTMZe):
"The real story, however, is going to be in the months after this release as
we roll out the content store management app for people who would like to
participate by offering original content (apps, artwork, books, etc, etc.), an
app developer support program and focus on hardware adaptations."

Cheers,
Thomas