Plasma Active (4) is awesome, and I know that ;)

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Thu Sep 5 15:11:24 UTC 2013

Hi everyone,
sorry for coming across as being too negative regarding Plasma Active (4).
I know that Plasma Active has loads of great things going for it (why
would I still work on it if that wasn't the case?), and I want people to
get excited about it, to spread the word and everything. That's why I
wrote that article for The Powerbase back then, that's why I happily
complied with Carl's request for my quotable opinion of PA4.
There are just some words that trigger my "Marketing Speech Alert", and
one of those is "polished".
When Carl put the word into perspective by adding "relative to PA1", I
totally agreed. I just hope that users will read it like that as well.

I guess I'm more of a classical "usability" guy than a "user experience
guy" in the sense that I focus more on reducing frustration and problems
to a minimum then on creating excitement. That doesn't mean I don't want
excitement, but for me personally, a product that merely covers up
problems with excitement would not be a good product.
I know full well that Apple products sell well because people are so
emotionally attached to them that they simply ignore the practical
problems they face when using them. That's not something I'd want to do,
though.

I think both positions are important. We need people who spread the -
well earned - excitement and push things forward, but we also need
people to care about limiting frustration and anger.
So I'd say keep on doing what you do so well, guys, and I'll keep doing
what I do well (perhaps trying to tone down a bit so we do not spend too
much time arguing), and in the end we'll have a product that is both
exciting and has few problems.

Looking forward to the release and the public's reactions to it,
Thomas