Install TimeKeeper plasmoid on PA

Bogdan Cristea cristeab at gmail.com
Tue Sep 3 19:09:30 UTC 2013

On Tue 03 Sep 2013 08:48:00 PM CEST, Michael Bohlender wrote:
> Hi Bogdan,
>
> https://github.com/Joker/timekeeper  tells you how to install the
> plasmoid by hand.
>
> The addons app is supposed to be the single/central place on
> PlasmaActive to get new features. Our addons app is a client for the
> bodega server (which is open source compared to kde-apps.org
> <http://kde-apps.org>). It also uses a different protocol. I am not
> aware of plans to support GHNS (the protocol used by kde-apps.org
> <http://kde-apps.org>) in PA so it is very unlikely to get an easy way
> to install things form GHNS services.  However it should be possible
> to install plasmoids via the addons app very soon.
> How we get people to also upload their things on a/our bodega server
> is another problem.
>
> A bodega developer will probably be able to tell you more.
>
> Cheers
>
> Mike
>

> On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 8:43 PM, Carl Symons <carlsymons at gmail.com
> <mailto:carlsymons at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 11:03 AM, Bogdan Cristea
>     <cristeab at gmail.com <mailto:cristeab at gmail.com>> wrote:
>     > Hi
>     >
>     > I have just found that plasmoids can be installed on PA, but
>     there is still
>     > little support for plasmoids found on kde-apps.org
>     <http://kde-apps.org>. I am interested
>     > especially in this one
>     >
>     > http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php/Time+Keeper?content=159345
>     >
>     > is there a way to install it on PA or have it included by default ?
>     >
>     > Also, this feature should be better advertised an provide an
>     option to
>     > install directly from kde-apps.org <http://kde-apps.org>
>     plasmoids (as it is available on KDE)
>     >
>     > regards
>     > Bogdan
>
>     I'm delighted that you're experimenting with the cool Plasma stuff. It
>     would be mighty fine if the project could attract a bunch of people
>     who want to push the limits of Plasma Active.
>
>     By the way, TimeKeeper is one of my favorites. It just doesn't work
>     quite right for my desktop.
>
>     Seems like the best way to get Plasma widget installation in place is
>     to document it on the wiki. For example, I'm curious about what you
>     have discovered about installing plasmoids. With some of the
>     information in place, other people could jump in on moving it forward.
>     Depending on the core devs to do this probably means that it won't get
>     done any time soon.
>
>     We really need to make PA attractive to developers of all skill
>     levels. The wiki is the best place to gather the information necessary
>     to allow that to happen.
>
>     Carl

Hi

This is the approach I have used, since that plasmoid is written in
QML/Javascript using only plasmapkg with the *.plasmoid file is enough,
but there are still some dependences missing. I was not aware about the
issues around kde-apps.org, but it seems to be also the server used by
KDE desktop when trying to install plasmoids from the Internet. I find
a little strange for PA not to follow the same approach as KDE.

regards
Bogdan