Files - Follders and Tags

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Thu Oct 31 22:14:08 UTC 2013

On Thursday 31 October 2013 21:10:12 Wolfgang Romey wrote:
> I think folder and tagging are far from ready in KDE.
>
>  I have a lot of images i tag intensely in digikam. When i sync them to my
> weTab via owncloud, i have tag them anew. That is not acceptable. As long as
> tags are not tied to a file, tagging is not ready.

Tying tags to files would be difficult (if not impossible at least for some
file types), but we definitely need better Nepomuk synchronization in order
for tags to really take off in a multi-device(+cloud) world.

> When I copy files to my weTab, i should be aksed, if I want to tag them. If
> yes, my tags should be offered and I should be able to create new one.
> The same should happen, when i load down content from bodega.

Yes, that was the original idea we had for the file copying process, but that
somehow got lost in the development process (probably due to limited
development resources, a.k.a Marco didn't have enough time left to do it).
It's definitely something that should be implemented in Files: Copying and
tagging should happen in one go.

> One tag should allways be the folder in which the file rests, so i can see
> which files are in a folder and can tag them. When i tag them with another
> folder, the old tag folder would removed

Yes, that's kind of what I imagined.

> As long as tagging is far from ready, PA should offer fallback lines. One
> fallback for me is dolhin, allthough it is not touch optimized.
>
> Wolfgang

Personally, I'm not a big fan of fallbacks (since they make it less likely
that the underlying problem will be fixed), I'd rather push for tags to get to
a point where they can become the main way to organize your resources but
still coexist peacefully with a (hidden) folder hierarchy.

As long as tags are (seen as) inferior to organizing files in a folder
hierarchy, they just won't see widespread adoption, which to me is a lost
opportunity.