Categories

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Thu Oct 31 09:12:40 UTC 2013

On Wednesday 30 October 2013 21:21:36 Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> On Wednesday 30 October 2013 19:52:53 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > > And what is the advantage of this?
> >
> > a) there is no disadvantage
> > b) if you switch from Active to Desktop, it matters
>
> When switching between Active and Desktop, our whole "let's hide the
folder
> hierarchy" idea breaks down anyway: People want to organize their files in
> folders on the Desktop and they might not even tag them, so they won't
want
> files to just throw everything you e.g. copy from a USB stick into ~/ and
> they want to find files via the folder hierarchy in Active as well.
> We'll have to re-think the whole concept for Plasma2, since it only worked
> as long as PA is the only thing you used on a given device.

the folders aren't going away, since that's how the underlying system works
and yes, it just strenghten my opinion that a tag system is useful when is an
help on the side, not when ui-wise is put as the only thing existent, because
is simply not possible not seeing the man behind the curtain, and those
problems are because of that..
but i know this idea is not shared, so ill go back.. behind the curtain :p

> Probably we'll have to link tags and folders somehow (like sorting files
> into folders automatically based on their tags, and assigning tags
> automatically based on parent folder, for example)

yeah, that may be a nice idea