[Kde-pim] Kontact Touch Mail - Initial Mockup + Git Workflow

Michael Bohlender michael.bohlender at gmail.com
Wed May 15 19:46:48 UTC 2013

hey Björn

thanks for your feedback.  Is there any documentation form the original
design process that I could have a look at ?

I would like question whether using the column-based-navigation is actually
> good decision. Remember that a lot of people have deep hierarchies of mail
> folders. As navigating actually is not the main focus when using mail, the
> navigation area might get too much weight in comparison to the actual list
> of
> mails within a selected folder, when the pattern is used (at least as far
> as I
> understand it, you can end up with e.g. 4 columns visible).

The way I imagined this is to have a column based navigation with the
columns:  folder; list; view mail; compose mail
browsing the folder hierarchy would be inline like it is currently done.

Also, I do not like how inbox and new mail are on the same level. New mail
> is
> an action, choosing inbox (or any other folder) is navigation. These should
> not be mixed up.

"new mail" in this case is "show all new mail" and not "create new mail"
(which is in the upper right in the top bar)

> Again, having trash as a drop-target while
> the other elements are for navigation only seems to be inconsistent and
> difficult to understand for the user.

I think it could  work if we make all folders drop target so you can move
mail to a folder by dragging it there.( or delete it or mark it as
important)

> Summing it up - as far as I understand the mockup, it oversimplifies a bit
> too
> much. The matter is complex. Unfortunately.

yes it is very complex and  am l am glad to have so many skilled people
involved.

Cheers

Mike