[Kde-pim] Kontact Touch Mail - Initial Mockup + Git Workflow

Björn Balazs bjoern.balazs at user-prompt.com
Wed May 15 18:35:41 UTC 2013

Am Dienstag, 14. Mai 2013, 20:17:25 schrieb Thomas Pfeiffer:
> On Tuesday 14 May 2013 17:30:49 Michael Bohlender wrote:
> > * in the editor the sidebar is on the right rather than the left like
> > every
> >
> > > other mockup. any reason for that?
> >
> > the sidebar in 1 and 2 is for navigation/browsing that will give you
> > another main area while the sidebar in 3 (editor) is for interaction with
> > the main areas content. I could make the sidebar in 1 and 2  use the same
> > background as the main area (like the pagerow in bodega client)
> > to make this even more evident.
>
> Yes. Since you're using the same pattern (Column-based navigation,
> http://community.kde.org/Plasma/Active/Development/ActiveHIG/ColumnViews),
> it should look and feel similar to Add Ons. Actually, would it be possible
> to use the actual PageRow component here? If not, why not? Our goal is to
> re-use Plasma Components as much as possible, so if they are not suited,
> this may indicate that they need to be improved.

I would like question whether using the column-based-navigation is actually a
good decision. Remember that a lot of people have deep hierarchies of mail
folders. As navigating actually is not the main focus when using mail, the
navigation area might get too much weight in comparison to the actual list of
mails within a selected folder, when the pattern is used (at least as far as I
understand it, you can end up with e.g. 4 columns visible).

Also, I do not like how inbox and new mail are on the same level. New mail is
an action, choosing inbox (or any other folder) is navigation. These should
not be mixed up.

In the same category of problem falls the fact that dragging mails to trash
will only work as long as the trash folder is visible (which cannot be assured
using the column-based-navigation). Again, having trash as a drop-target while
the other elements are for navigation only seems to be inconsistent and
difficult to understand for the user.

Summing it up - as far as I understand the mockup, it oversimplifies a bit too
much. The matter is complex. Unfortunately.

Cheers,
Björn