need help starting kde plasma-mobile

Paul S paulatgm at gmail.com
Wed May 1 12:42:10 UTC 2013

On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 4:19 PM, Michael Pyne <mpyne at kde.org> wrote:

> Judging from the .xsession-errors, there's a lot of "unversioned plugin
> detected" warnings, which might indicate that Plasma is still finding some
> incompatible plugins that are not from the kdesrc-build installation of
> Plasma
> Active.
>
> It may be as simple as incorrect environment variable settings or a module
> that needs to be compiled and installed. E.g. for the desktop version of
> Plasma it's usually good to build kdeplasma-addons in addition to stuff
> like
> kde-workspace and kdelibs.

OK, to rule this out, I have now rebuilt everything into /usr/local which
is part of all the paths on debian. So, everything should be in the
environment now. Also, I already had plasma-addons installed. The only
thing that isn't installed now is phonon-vlc and phonon-gstreamer which
both fail to build for no good reason repeatedly. But, both had previously
built successfully in my ~/kde4 directory.

> It's also advisable to use "startactive" instead of plasma-device, if
> you're
> trying to use the full Plasma Active environment. Aaron Seigo mentioned
> this
> in an email today, which might be a useful step to try as well.

Now, my /usr/share/xsessions/startactive.desktop file has Exec:
/usr/local/bin/startactive. It starts, but still isn't right. What happens
is the plasma desktop loads first and then the plasma active appears over
it. I have the usual plasma desktop menu at the bottom of the screen and
the plasma mobile at the top and the gear pullout on the right. But, the
application pull down does not exist. However, if I hit the desktop start
icon in the lower left, I can select logout and this kills the plasma
desktop menu bar and seems to give me a full plasma active session. Now, I
can pull down the application launcher from the top. But, there are still 2
logout buttons, one on  the right and one on the left, and neither one does
anything. Also, if I click on an app, such as the config app, it goes full
screen and I lose the menu bar at the top and can't find a way to get back
to the home screen.

 Any ideas why I get this strange active on top of desktop startup or why I
lose the menu bar and can't get it back due to the apps going full screen?

Attached is the xsession-error log for this session that lost the menu bar,
called nomenu.txt.