New HIG draft for column-based navigation

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Tue Mar 12 21:01:57 UTC 2013

On Tuesday 12 March 2013, Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> I just wrote a draft for an HIG for our column-based navigation pattern
> (the one used in Add Ons). You can find it here:
> http://community.kde.org/Plasma/Active/Development/ActiveHIG/ColumnViews
> I plan to use a different HIG for flat (one-level) categories because in
> that case, the whole rest of the screen is dedicated to the items in each
> category instead of just one column (and I assume a different component is
> used as well).
> Comments welcome as always!

thanks :) i added just a line on scalability, but i think it's fine.

> @Marco: If there is a straightforward way (aka Plasma Component) to
> implement this available, can you please put in the minimal code to
> implement it at the code section (or send me the snippet and I'll put it
> in)?

There is PageRow (used in the addons store), but is just about arranging stuff
in columns, those menus would still have to be created by hand (by listviews
in scrollviews usually) I don't think is much feasible making something that
takes even less code to do while retaining usefulness

i added an example on how it can be achieved, probably is not super clear, so
feedback on it welcome