UI guidelines (Re: [Kde-pim] GSOC Kontact Touch)

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Sat Mar 9 22:17:44 UTC 2013

On Saturday 09 March 2013 15:05:17 Andrej Vernekar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > Sorry to bother but I can't help it - I saw this today:
> > https://sailfishos.org//navigation-article.html
> >
> > And these guide lines for UI seem to be something we need, too... ;-)
>
> My thoughts too...
> Though
> http://community.kde.org/Plasma/Active/Development/ActiveHIG
> seems a nice starting point.

Thanks for reminding Jos that these exist (Jos, weren't you actually in the
audience of my talk at Akademy?). Or did you mean that there were no
guidelines for these specific things, Jos? Actually there are guidelines for
drawers ( http://community.kde.org/Plasma/Active/Development/ActiveHIG/Drawers
) and at least a specific kind of inline dialog is covered in
(http://community.kde.org/Plasma/Active/Development/ActiveHIG/Settings) but we
definitely need one for the column-based UI (I hope I'll find time to write that
soon, it really is important) and maybe a more general one for inline dialogs.

> As I'm not a UX designer, I can help only with some more basic UI stuff like
> the home screen, peek & run diagrams and similar. More like the way they
> start on https://sailfishos.org//core-article.html
>
> (I'm preparing a simple presentation about Plasma Active, so I needed a few
> basic diagrams anyway... here is a quick draft (sorry for the export
> quality, I'll redraw them in SVG):
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/61856678/plasma-active/active-basic.png
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/61856678/plasma-active/active-peek.png
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/61856678/plasma-active/active-run.png
> ... and so on for the activity wheel, recommendations,
> share-like-connect,...)

Those diagrams by themselves won't be of much help without accompanying text,
but they can be used in HIGs which still have to be written. Maybe we can
create stubs for HIGs, place the images in them and then write text around
them later?
Thanks for preparing them.

Thomas