Fwd: Kontact Touch GSOC Proposal

Michael Bohlender michael.bohlender at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 19:58:16 UTC 2013

> Regarding your project plan: I think 2 weeks for mockups/design is too
> short,
> you'll probably need more time for a few iterations until we agree on the
> UX
> ;)

The way I imagined this:
  use the first six weeks to agree on the basic layout to display mails /
browse through them
  and
  use the second half for refinement, send mail dialog
+ encryption options, search and stuff.

This way we would get two mockup phases one at the beginning and one after
midterm evaluation.
The first mockup phase needs to be longer though. because we need to have a
rough idea where to put everything. including the parts of the second phase.

Is that a sensible approach?
If not:
You are the expert and I have little experience. So whatever approach you
suggest will be good for me.

And maybe you should think about possible problems a bit more, I am pretty
> sure some will come to your mind even before you know very much about how
> Kontact/Akonadi/Plasma Active work.

I see a lot of design problems that need to be solved like
Inline search,  sorting, filtering, how to present "conversations" and
threaded discussions
work around the keyboard that might cover important areas when creating a
mail. sensible defaults.
interaction with other parts of kontact touch like "adding adress to
adressbook" -> probaly SLC but what about adding recipients

but these are all things we will work on during the project phase.

The "possible problems" section is for project related things like:
"I have no real project experience with C++ / QML" or "I will be busy for X
days due to .... "

and how I intend to work around them / compensate.

Still, I agree with you I will have to fill that.