Kontact Touch GSOC Proposal

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Mon Mar 4 19:18:43 UTC 2013

On Thursday 28 February 2013 20:20:54 Michael Bohlender wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> here is the first draft of my GSOC proposal.
>
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1z2jYE7ayKE8VHV2AylCxQobaX6XdJknzbCG_BOLs
> JFE/edit?usp=sharing
>
> In order for this to work, i need to be right about one assumption:
> Can I develop the UI against data that I define in a qml model like its
> done here:
> http://harmattan-dev.nokia.com/docs/library/html/qt4/qml-listview.html ?
> That would be really useful for prototyping.
>
> Please give your honest feedback, especially about the project scope.
>
> Cheers
>
> Mike

Hey Mike,
sorry for not replying earlier, here is my feedback:
I cannot say anything about the technical feasibility, but the general
approach sounds sensible to me.

I hadn't realized that it was you who sent us the KSnapshot mockups in January
until I read about them in your proposal ;)
We decided to use the plasma group on Reviewboard for PA as well, so I think
it would make sense if you just opened a review request for plasma and
whichever group is used by the KSnapshot devs of your code, along with some
screenshots. It would be nice to see how you incorporate usability feedback
into your designs.

Regarding your project plan: I think 2 weeks for mockups/design is too short,
you'll probably need more time for a few iterations until we agree on the UX
;)
And maybe you should think about possible problems a bit more, I am pretty
sure some will come to your mind even before you know very much about how
Kontact/Akonadi/Plasma Active work.

I think it's a nice proposal, let's hear what the Devs have to say ;)

Thomas