Network Management Applet not working

Ruediger Gad r.c.g at gmx.de
Mon Jul 15 18:20:10 UTC 2013

A minor update to this issue:
(Please excuse the lengthy output in between. I wanted to put everything
in the right context and provide the, imho, relevant information.)

I installed xorg-x11-utils-input to test a little.
This was tested on an ArchosG9. The setup was as follows:
DISPLAY=:0 xinput list
⎡ Virtual core pointer                    	id=2	[master pointer  (3)]
⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer              	id=4	[slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ tr16c0_i2c_tsp                          	id=8	[slave  pointer  (2)]
⎣ Virtual core keyboard                   	id=3	[master keyboard (2)]
     ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard             	id=5	[slave  keyboard (3)]
     ↳ gpio-keys                               	id=6	[slave  keyboard (3)]
     ↳ twl6030_pwrbutton                       	id=7	[slave  keyboard (3)]

So, when I do the following (8 corresponds to the tr16c0_i2c_tsp device):
DISPLAY=:0 xinput test-xi2 8
I get the same result when clicking on the network management applet,
which doesn't work, as when clicking somewhere else, which works:

# Network Manager Applet
EVENT type 17 (RawMotion)
     device: 2
     detail: 0
     valuators:
           0: 161.00 (161.00)
           1: 307.00 (307.00)
           2: 0.00 (0.00)
           3: 0.00 (0.00)
           4: 0.00 (0.00)

EVENT type 15 (RawButtonPress)
     device: 2
     detail: 1
     valuators:
           0: 161.00 (161.00)
           1: 307.00 (307.00)
           2: 0.00 (0.00)
           3: 0.00 (0.00)
           4: 0.00 (0.00)
# Somewhere else
EVENT type 17 (RawMotion)
     device: 2
     detail: 0
     valuators:
           0: 647.00 (647.00)
           1: 483.00 (483.00)
           2: 0.00 (0.00)
           3: 0.00 (0.00)
           4: 0.00 (0.00)

EVENT type 15 (RawButtonPress)
     device: 2
     detail: 1
     valuators:
           0: 647.00 (647.00)
           1: 483.00 (483.00)
           2: 0.00 (0.00)
           3: 0.00 (0.00)
           4: 0.00 (0.00)

When playing with the button map of tr16c0_i2c_tsp I discovered that the
network manager applet (as well as the icon in the top bar) receives the
button with id 3. In this case it brings up something that appears to be
a right click menu that allows me to, e.g., disable/enable networking
globally or to launch the network settings.
Of course, setting the button map to something else than 1 doesn't make
much sense as this renders the "normal" touch interaction with unusable.

I still can't see any reason why the network management should work on
Intel-based devices while it doesn't on the Arm-based tablets I have
here (ArchosG9 and Nexus 7).

Any input to solve this issue is highly appreciated.

BR,

Ruediger