Instant Message client for Plasma Active?

Ruediger Gad r.c.g at gmx.de
Sun Jul 14 19:05:28 UTC 2013

On 07/14/2013 07:49 PM, Marco Martin wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 7:09 PM, David Talmage <talmage at acm.org
> <mailto:talmage at acm.org>> wrote:
>
>     Is there an IM client for PA?  I don't see one in the integration repo.
>

> There is also an active ui for kde telepathy, i don't know if is
> actively developed.
> Its developer will sure be happy for an extra hand :)

Fwiw, in the following blog post I wrote about my experience with
XMPP(Jabber) in PA using some GUI frontends from Nemo:
http://ruedigergad.com/2013/03/13/jabberxmpp-with-latest-plasma-active-on-nexus-7/

Please note that the required libs and GUIs are only installed by
default on the PA rootfs tarballs for Nexus7 and ArchosG9 that you can
get from here:
http://files.kde.org/plasma/active/3.0/images/
The latest development snapshots should come with everything needed for
using XMPP.

Afaik, Mer now also ships with telepathy libs for ICQ. However, it won't
be easily usable in PA via the approach described in my blog post yet.

Please note that this is highly experimental, primarily a proof of
concept, and that the user experience is far from optimal. However, it
used to work here.

hth

Ruediger