Task-Centric file creation - First mockups

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 16:56:16 UTC 2013

On Thursday 31 January 2013, Inge Wallin wrote:
> > Cheers,
> > Thomas
>
> This is very interesting.  I don't have much feedback but I just want to
> raise one issue that creating new stuff (documents in my case) need to
> take into account: templates.  Sometimes you want to create a new
> completely empty document. Sometimes you want to create something from an
> existing template.
>
> Sometimes you even want to create a new document from an old one but that
> is another matter. Just don't forget templates when you design the
> interaction.

(implementation detail, but that's how i think :p) a thing that it occurs to
me is that applications could define services in some common format, (ie, i
know how to send emails, i know how to edit contacts etc) with a way to
achieve that, that may be a command, a dbus api, whatever. In this case is
also possible for third parties to change defaults of who does what action.

so, the task menu would expose that action, and invoke it, without knowing
anything how is done.
for creation of files, it may either be some small, global interface for
creation derived from some preinstalled template, or in case is something more
complex, the application (would think about say, krita) registers itself a
"create new drawing" action, that would just be in the end, behind the scenes
an invokation of krita with the right commandline to show an internal file
creation ui, that would follow some ui guidelines, so is not much relevant to
the user that what happened is krita that had been launched instead of some
stock thing.