Task Launcher - mockups

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Jan 31 13:23:02 UTC 2013

On Thursday, January 31, 2013 13:03:39 Marco Martin wrote:
> * in the top menu there would be just links to "browsers", like web, files,
> music, books.. and one single "creator" application that would allow to
> create files/stuff

what is the difference between having a separate "creator" app and having that
UI in the Launch area?

* with delayed loading, it won't add weight.
* keeping it in the launcher means one less window for the user to manage
* it will force us to keep it simple and streamlined so it fits in
* it keeps all "starting things" in one place (rather than launch an app to
start an app)

> * simple applications to view just one kind of thing wouldn't be in the
> menu, but only invoked by opening the proper type of thing (like okular
> active, calligra stuff, the image viewer, probably videos needs one as
> well)

+1 (and what we already do)

> * the "rest" would have a browser of its own, an application browser that
> has categories, tags, search and all that, that makes finding an

Launch should be that browser and avoid tags here. all i every find the need
for is a quick search and ways to "favourite" apps; we have both already.

but pulling down the Launch area to open a browser that launches apps is
really .. awkward.