Task Launcher - mockups

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Thu Jan 31 12:45:36 UTC 2013

On Thursday 31 January 2013 13:39:00 Marco Martin wrote:
> On Thursday 31 January 2013, Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> > On Thursday 31 January 2013 13:14:57 Marco Martin wrote:
> > > pmc as is is quite a thing that i see more for another shell (set top
> > > box
> > > form factor or something like that)
> > >
> > > for videos i would certainly see a very simple video app that plays a
> > > single video selected from fiels and that's it.
> > >
> > > but here is also where i think we kindof hit a wall. for music instead
> > > we
> > > shout either
> > > a) make the files app extremely complex, or
> > > b) delegate this to pmc and make it the "browser" of music, since while
> > > listening music one expect to brose by artist/album/year, make
> > > playlists,
> > > connect to remote streams and so forth
> >
> > I think there is a place for both. If I just want to play a single
> > video/song, searching for it in Files and having it played in a very
> > simple player is probably what I want.
> > If I'm sitting around with friends and want to create a playlist for the
> > evening with them, an experience like the one PMC offers is probably
> > better
> > suited. That still doesn't mean that I need to know what "Plasma
> > Mediacenter" is, though. I can just say "Browse my Videos" and I that
> > starts PMC in the video browsing mode.
>
> i think it would make sense something like a threashold, ie when a type of
> data is managed by files, and when its intrinsic complexity makes it better
> to be managed by something else so that be it (like music, like emails etc)
> if the application then matches with the general idea, of being a browser
> of a particular type of data, it should work pretty well

Sounds good to me. If the application integrates well technically (like
supporting tags, SLC etc.) as well as UX-wise, users simply won't notice the
difference anyway. Applications like Kontact Mobile still have a looooooooong
way to go before they are at that point, but the general idea works, I think.