Task Launcher - mockups

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 12:39:00 UTC 2013

On Thursday 31 January 2013, Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> On Thursday 31 January 2013 13:14:57 Marco Martin wrote:
> > pmc as is is quite a thing that i see more for another shell (set top box
> > form factor or something like that)
> >
> > for videos i would certainly see a very simple video app that plays a
> > single video selected from fiels and that's it.
> >
> > but here is also where i think we kindof hit a wall. for music instead we
> > shout either
> > a) make the files app extremely complex, or
> > b) delegate this to pmc and make it the "browser" of music, since while
> > listening music one expect to brose by artist/album/year, make playlists,
> > connect to remote streams and so forth
>
> I think there is a place for both. If I just want to play a single
> video/song, searching for it in Files and having it played in a very
> simple player is probably what I want.
> If I'm sitting around with friends and want to create a playlist for the
> evening with them, an experience like the one PMC offers is probably better
> suited. That still doesn't mean that I need to know what "Plasma
> Mediacenter" is, though. I can just say "Browse my Videos" and I that
> starts PMC in the video browsing mode.

i think it would make sense something like a threashold, ie when a type of
data is managed by files, and when its intrinsic complexity makes it better to
be managed by something else so that be it (like music, like emails etc)
if the application then matches with the general idea, of being a browser of a
particular type of data, it should work pretty well