Task Launcher - mockups

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Wed Jan 30 20:54:56 UTC 2013

On Wednesday 30 January 2013 21:43:13 Marco Martin wrote:
> On Wednesday 30 January 2013, Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> > Attached you'll see my idea for a new task-centric Launch area, in which
> > everything is a task, and the categories are verbs (see "select
> > task.png").
> > Each list would be flickable vertically (I know, this conflicts with
>
> hm, no i think any form of vertical flick shouldn't be allowed in the panel.
> otherwise you have an area that doesn't always behave the same, (in general
> vertical scrolling into something that already scrolls vertically pretty
> much means frustration, just look how annoying is when happens in a
> website) the panel covering everything (and being the only piece of ui that
> modofies everything) must remail very, very easy to hide (even worse now
> that dragging works very very badly when done over the window strip due to
> a bad x11 limitation, that is probably not fixable before wayland)

So what did you have in mind when you suggested using the column browser
component during the last IRC meeting? That would have required vertical
scrolling as well, wouldn't it?
I agree that this would be far from ideal, though. Another approach could be
to wrap categories with too many items into multiple columns. That way we
could avoid vertical scrolling, but would introduce more horizontal scrolling,
of course. Maybe that would be the lesser of two evils, though...