Task-Centric file creation - First mockups

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 20:45:18 UTC 2013

On Tuesday 29 January 2013, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> pros:
> * it means every new thing created will be associated with that activity by
> default
> * it means i don't have to have to pull down the launch and start a
> different app to get to this functionality
>
> as a wild thought: would it work at all to have a "create" button between
> "+" and "configure"?

hm, another button would probably be quite redundant, and not very clear the
difference...
in general, i don't quite like how much the shell has become complex
already... if anything i think stuff should be removed from it rather new
things added...
both from an user pow and purely implementation (ok, maybe a bit more from an
implementation pow...) would make the workspace look kindof a very heavy
central monolithic thing... don't know just a gut feeling for now that makes
me not like the idea of using the add items ui too much.

I think i would prefer starting this kind of actions from the top menu, that
doesn't *have* to be the list of all applications as now btw.
It may even have just icons to browsers (files, books, web, images..) and a
launcher for the start task ui (applications that can't really be melted in a
task, such as games may be listed in a "category" of tasks)