Bug-fixing "real-life" sprint?

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Mon Jan 21 12:38:03 UTC 2013

On 21.01.2013 13:09, Marco Martin wrote:
> On Monday 21 January 2013, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
>> On Monday, January 21, 2013 12:41:55 Martin Graesslin wrote:
>>> aspect aside and do a general "cross KDE software polishing section".
>>
>> this actually sounds like an awesome theme for Akademy in general.

+1000!

> to elaborate more on that:
> the theme may be (both for active and for desktop) to make a last qt4 release
> that is really clean, that can be used for a long time, all the time that is
> needed to have a complete workspace based on kf5,plasma2,bells and whistles.

Absolutely!
For Desktop, that means mostly polishing at this moment since I don't
think there are many "missing features" left. I guess most users have
pretty much everything they need right now. That doesn't mean there is
no room for innovation, but it means that people won't complain if they
don't get their much-needed feature XYZ, and the image of KDE software
as mostly "buggy and resource-heavy" many people currently seem to have
in their minds can finally be corrected.

Plasma Active is still quite a bit further from "feature-completeness",
though, so it might take longer for it to reach a state which can stay
for a while without further feature development.

So okay, looks like a polishing focus for Akademy it is, then.
That means that we need an "emergency stabilization plan" for PA4,
though. I don't know if with our resources alone we can get PA from its
current state to a releasable state in time, so we might need to do
things like
- ship older versions of software which has too many problems in its
current version in PA
- deactivate features that don't work reliably
- don't ship applications by default which have many problems