Summary of issues, let's get to work!

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Sun Jan 20 13:39:51 UTC 2013

On Friday 11 January 2013 14:37:30 Marco Martin wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Last days i tried to test various aspects of the current image and noted
> down what seemed the most serious ones.
>
> here is a list that being quite big seems quite scary, but can be broken
> down in simpler points and simpler tasks quite easily.
>
> some of the problems (like those != from nepomuk ones) can be easily taken
> from anyone i think,
> so what i would like to see happening the next days is:
> * people testing those issues on their images, to see if they are
> reproduceable by everybody/ still valid

Sorry for not having done this earlier, but I'm doing some retesting right
now. I'll report the results on Bugzilla instead of the mailing list even
though it's a little more work, I prefer the more structured process for
handling the bugs over there.

> * discussing the problems, breaking them down to very simple tasks, and
> hopefully some people can take some simple problems, as good, introductory
> junior job tasks for starting hacking around plasma active
>
> also, i want to pretty much close features for pa4 (except maybe one or two,
> we can talk about what they could be), giving all priority to
> stabilization.

Yes, stabilization is very important at this point. I'd really like to see
some more new things in PA4 as well, though. Many improvements since PA3 have
been under the hood, which is very important, but may not be enough to create
marketing buzz for PA4 (I think if it gets a new number, it should show quite
a few noticeable improvements).
We might consider turning this into a 3.x release instead of 4 if we focus
primarily on stabilization, though. Personally I don't like the version number
hike that's been carried into the OSS world by Chromium. For example, in the
past, when Firefox changed the number before the dot, users could expect
pretty much a reviolution (even a new 3.X meant noticeable improvements).
Nowadays a change form 17 to 18 means pretty much nothing. I don't want to see
Plasma Active going down that road.

Still, I'm all for stabilization at this point, it's absolutely crucial.