touch optimized ksnapshot

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sat Jan 12 16:49:41 UTC 2013

On Saturday, January 12, 2013 17:07:48 Michael Bohlender wrote:
> I had to use ksnapshot today and it wasn't a pleasure to use on a
> touchscreen so I decided to improve that.
> Here is my UI mockup; http://postimage.org/image/dq2xwnl2t/ .

as mentioned on irc: i think it looks really good already. i'd probably move
the "Take new snapshot" button to be under the options as the columnar workflow
probably supports that: set options, take a new shot.

as for where to put it, i'd suggest starting a branch in the ksnapshot
repository that has this UI in a subdirectory as we did in okular. (perhaps
even name it the same: "active/"). in there should be a small c++ "starter"
app, again just as in the okular case, which loads the QML package and
provides access to the ksnapshot code which actually takes snapshots, etc.

if you have questions on accomplishing that part of it, just ask here or on
irc :)

and yes, i'd love to see a better touch based UI for this app in Plasma
Active!

> For the delay chooser: i remember a suitable widget for choosing between
> numbers but i couldn't find it.
> Any hints?

there is a date picker which is sort of like this .. but really we need a
proper component that can be shared between apps as you noted. should be easy
enough to create, and would be a touch replacement for spinners as seen on the
desktop.

i'll try my hand at this over the weekend (unless you want to, of course)

> Ah and this would be my first contribution to KDE (besides a minor patch)
> so please be patient with me.

welcome to KDE and Plasma Active dev! :)