[Kde-pim] GSOC Kontact Touch

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Tue Feb 26 18:12:25 UTC 2013

On Tuesday 26 February 2013 18:56:21 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 26, 2013 18:42:16 Anders Lund wrote:
> > The way dialogs are implemented with slide-in pages instead of tabs is not
> > working very well, it is confusing and unintuitive to use in my
> > experience.
>
> "Dear $DEITY, please do not bring the plague of tabs to Plasma Active."

Well, we already have tab-like interfaces both in Files and in the Add Items
dialog, and they work well there. They are not the solution to everything,
though, of course.

> but yes, the workflow needs re-examining. we have 3 sets of tools at our
> disposal to achieve this and keep the Plasma Active design harmony:
>
> * column based categorized lists (Add Ons, News, Settings)
> * side drawers (Files, okular active)
> * in-line UI (page stack and friends)
>
> i don't think there will be a single silver bullet for all the ways dialogs
> and drawers are currently used in Kontact Touch, but mapping out the overall
> workflow using the above three approaches should be possible and result in
> improvements.

I think this project will be crucial to find what can be done with the UI
patterns we already have, and where we need new ones.
And to avoid creating new patterns where it's not necessary, I'd like to co-
mentor the project (as already stated in my previous mail).