Plasma Active Files Management and remote files / devices.

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Feb 26 17:07:17 UTC 2013

On Tuesday, February 26, 2013 10:53:35 joseph.anania at gmail.com wrote:
> What are the current plans for handling remote files.  Plasma Active is
> moving towards a tag based file management system, however how does this
> translate to using other devices such as portable hard drives, SD-cards and
> FTP servers.

this is more a question for nepomuk than plasma active.

removable media is also a different beast from network media for a variety of
reasons (not least of all is that random access I/O is less likely on network
services)

so i'd probably start by refining the problem statement to include specific
types of systems, e.g. "volumes where async, random access i/o is possible",
"volumes that can be read from and written to, but only atomically", "volumes
that can only be read from" and then looking at possible solutions there.

the way you phrased it, my guess is that you are thinking about how to store
the nepomuk data *with* the data, e.g. having a nepomuk database on a
removable disk that gets used whenever the disk is inserted?

and i hope you're asking the question because you're thinking of writing code
to address these issues?