Plasma Active Files Management and remote files / devices.

Daniel Kreuter daniel.kreuter85 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 16:51:36 UTC 2013

Am 26.02.2013 16:52 schrieb <joseph.anania at gmail.com>:

> What are the current plans for handling remote files.  Plasma Active is
moving
> towards a tag based file management system, however how does this
translate to
> using other devices such as portable hard drives, SD-cards and FTP
servers.

> Nepomuk currently doesn't have a way of sending your tagging information
> those devices so it can be referenced later(so all tagging information is
> lost) And currently there is no solution for this.

For usb I agree, tere should be a way to tag those two (don't know if this
is already possible). I currently see no use case for tagging files on
other remote locations like ftp, but wouild be possible.

> Possible solutions, device tags: tags that are special and are associated
with
> a device or location, so if a file is tagged it is automatically copied or
> moved.  Furthermore, .nepomuk files basically hidden files similar to
> .thumbnails and other hidden service files that can be automatically
moved when
> files are moved to a new location.  They then can be read by any other PA
or
> nepomuk computer and be used to automatically tag the files referenced so
> user's tags aren't lost.

Maybe you can use the url or uuid (in case of a remote location like ftp)
and store this locally on yohr tablet. Since these locations won't change
nepomuk would find them later.