Next release of Plasma Active, some things needed

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Mon Apr 29 22:09:13 UTC 2013

On 29.04.2013 17:17, Marco Martin wrote:
> Hi all,
> With the Plasma Active team, we are thinking about doing a release
> shortly,
> since the code is now frozen, what still remains to do is some
> integration
> work.
> I think some of this works also depends from Mer and Nemo (but i could
> be
> wrong)
>
> we need basically a target where to build against that stays stable
> for the
> time being, and that would include Nemo (basically nemo:stable:mw,
> nemo:stable:hw:* repositories) and Mer (a fixed release that stays
> there for a
> long time, so mer:devel:latest wouldn't do since changes quite often)
>
> does the above make sense? and most important, does it sound feasible?

Hi Marco,
going for a longer-lasting target of Nemo and Mer (except for security
fixes) makes sense at least for the stable images, imho.
Users of the stable PA must be able to run zypper up without fearing
that their system is destroyed.
Devel and Testing users can get newer versions of Mer and Nemo.

But before release, we have to make sure that we find either a fix or a
workaround for the following bugs:
https://bugs.kde.org/buglist.cgi?bug_severity=critical&bug_severity=grave&bug_severity=major&bug_severity=crash&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=CONFIRMED&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&product=Active&list_id=564029
Maybe we can close the browser bug as wontfix for now because we'll
have to wait for the next webkit, but I don't think we can release with
the other bugs still untouched. 318522 and 318818 are not critical as
such, but they mean that a new feature simply doesn't work as it should,
so if they cannot be fixed, that feature (the album/artist filtering)
should be removed from PA4 and reintroduced when it's fixed either as a
backport or in PA5.
318301 seems to be Nexus 7-specific, so we might ignore it if we
release the PA4 officially only for x86.
Concerning 318816, we must either find a way to open files with PMC or
install Bangarang by default for that purpose. Not being able to open
music or video files form Files isn't a releasable state if you ask me.
The Plasma crashes are not catastrophic because Plasma restarts itself
(at least most of the times) automatically, but being greeted by DrKonqi
most of the time I unlock my tablet does not look good at all.

Note that I cannot re-test until Friday because I'm at a conference
with only very slow and crappy WiFi, where downloading 300MB of updates
would be suicide.

Cheers,
Thomas