Help me get Active on my Android Tablet!

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Tue Sep 18 22:30:05 UTC 2012

Hey Jason,

On Tuesday, September 18, 2012 12:37:34 Jason H wrote:
> Well the Mali-400 is very highly regarded. It's ain the Salaxy SIII, it has
> opensource drivers too, but they don't seem complete yet. There are binary
> ones though. The Mali-400 is OpenGL ES 1.1 & 2.0, OpenVG 1.1 compliant.
> http://www.malideveloper.com/developer-resources/drivers/open-source-mali-g
> pus-linux-exadri2-and-x11-display-drivers.php gives me
> http://www.malideveloper.com/files/DX910-SW-99003-r3p1-01rel0.tgz
> ("Mali-400 GPU Linux EXA/DRI2 and X11 Display Drivers r3p1-01rel0")
>
> I would be willing to ship the tablet to someone in the US, if that would
> help. Otherwise I could probably do the tests. My biggest challenge is
> going from android (I'm not an android or ARM person) to another OS.

The Mer people can probably be more helpful. Mer is the underlying OS we use
in our reference stack.

You basically need three parts to have a working image: hardware adaption, OS
and Plasma Active. OS and PA are readily available and usable with different
devices. For a given device you'll need a hardware adaption, which you can
assemble yourself, and then create an image using kickstart.

I'm not an expert in this field, so better check with the Mer folks for
starting points.

sebas