Proposal: Plasma Active Three end of August

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Sun Sep 9 21:41:34 UTC 2012

On Friday 07 September 2012 22:49:28 Marco Martin wrote:
> On Thursday 06 September 2012, Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> > - One big problem still in there is the fact that the drag & drop "ghost"
> > is not shown while the finger is still positioned over any resource icon.
> > This gives the impression that the dragging wasn't recognized until you
> > drag past the other resource icons. I just did a "one person usability
> > test" on this and the outcome was pretty much disastrous. The user simply
> > thought that dragging didn't work at all.
> > The dragging operation definitely needs to be visualized right after it's
> > started.
>
> not sure what do you mean,
> the operation starts when the finger is moved, like on the desktop, can't be
> started before..

When I select some resources in the browser and start dragging them, but my
finger is still moving over other - unselected - resources, the "ghost" does
not appear. The dragging operation is not visualized. It's only visualized
when I move my finger outside the resource list. Your video shows this as well.

> > Then there a few things that could still be optimized (although I don't
> > see
> > them as a must-have for PA3):
> > - The drag & drop "ghost" feels a little weird with the vertical offset.
> > Placing it directly at the cursor position would certainly make the
> > dragging feel more direct. The problem would of course be that you
> > couldn't see where you're dragging anymore. Could the ghost be made
>
> yeah, i plan to change after pa3, atm there is no api for that, so would
> mean a dependency from kde 4.10 ;)

Okay, I can live with that ;)

> > slightly transparent? - The "Current Activity" filter is nice, but it
> > would be much more useful if the Activitieswere drop targets like the
> > tags. That way users could very easily add resources to activities without
> > having to go through SLC or the Add Items dialog for each association.
> > - I think the concave effect actually does help users to recognize that
> > they can drop stuff "into" tags. Could you make the "holes" a little
> > deeper to make it even more clear?
>
> yeah, that can be done

Great!

> > > We also definitely need much more extensive testing compared to the
> > > previous release. There are many small things which are often affected
> > > by regressions (especially everything related to Activities and
> > > resources) that only show when you actually try to _use_ your device
> > > (like moving files from and to USB sticks, adding and removing resources
> > > of many different kinds to Activities, using private Activities etc.).
> > > It often happens to me that when I install an image on my Wetab and play
> > > around with it a bit, everything seems fine. But then when I use it more
> > > extensively, problems start appearing all over the place. And I
> > > personally would like to be able to show PA3 to someone without having
> > > to fear that he or she might do something that I causes all sorts of
> > > bugs to pop up.
> >
> > There are still some bugs left which I'd call release blockers, I'll add
> > comments to the corresponding reports.
>
> what are those you think are the worse ones?

I have to take another look to spot them again, but unfortunately I'll be at a
conference until Wednesday and I don't know if I'll find time there to do it.
I'll get to it as soon as I can.