kwin vs kwinactive

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Oct 29 20:50:47 UTC 2012

On Monday, October 29, 2012 21:11:32 Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> On Monday 29 October 2012 20:54:49 Marco Martin wrote:
> > hi all,
> > i seen that when kwin is built as "kwinactive" executable it takes its
> > config from kwinactiverc, but the rules are still taken from kwinrulesrc,
> > shouldn't it be kwinactiverulesrc as well? (to have different sets, ie one
> > would want the fullscreen prevention only on kwinactive)
>
> we currently do not ship any rules for active and given that the kcm is not
> compiled for kwinactive, I am not sure whether it is needed.

Marco wrote his email because we are probably going to be shipping rules for
active; we ran into an issue with applications written for Nemo where things
are done a bit differently. i'm guessing that's what motivated his mail.

this will become a bigger issue, btw, when we implement proper runtime shell
switching. as soon as Plasma Desktop is all-singing/all-dancing QML, i'm
hoping this will allow us to switch workspace concepts by simply destroying
and loading a new set of QML (no process restart!).

.. and this, i fear, is where our use of environment variables is likely to
let us down.

i'm quite tempted to move these things into a kded module that keeps track of
the workspace type details and publishes them via a dbus service ... but this
is a discussion for another day and another thread.